What is LMS?
Learning Management System or simply LMS is a software or program that helps you create, share, manage, and deliver online courses. A WordPress LMS will make administration, documentation, tracking, reporting, and delivery of online courses very easy within your WordPress dashboard.
With LMS software you will be able to gain an audience, coach them, and give them exercises or quizzes to test their performance and learning. The ability to award certificates after completion of the course also is one of the features many LMS plugins have.
In this article, we shall be looking at the best LMS WordPress plugin that will get you making online courses and coaching.
What is the best WordPress LMS?
- The best WordPress LMS should have the following features.
- Easy to use.
- Unlimited course and lessons.
- Customizable platform.
- Easy integration with other tools.
Below are my top picks of the best WordPress LMS that will get online courses and coaching easy.
LearnDash claims to be the only WordPress LMS created by e-learning experts and I believe them. Having won various awards in the e-learning industry, LearnDash is in the big boys in e-learning and course creation. Some of the awards are #1 most Affordable LMS by Capterra, Top 20 LMS based on user experience by eLearning industry, Top 20 easiest to use general LMS by G2Crows, and other 2 awards by G2Crowd.
The software is structured using the leading online learning principles to help maximize your content delivery, creation simpler, and learning effectiveness. The capability of LearnDash to integrate with various platforms makes it a great tool for online courses.
- The great learning experience with simple interference.
- Drag and Drop course builder to make customization and designing of the course much easier.
- Advanced quizzing with 8 question types, custom messages, question banks, and more. Question types include Essay/Open Answer, sorting, Assessment, single choice, multiple-choice, fill in the blank, and free choice. With these, you can give various and unique quizzes on the same topic without boring your learners.
- Ability to set access depending on prerequisites or previous progress.
- Automated notifications based on actions learners take or don’t during the course.
- Badges, certificates, and awards can be given to your learners based on quizzes, completed courses, or both.
- Learners discussion forums. Also, a leader’s board to motivate students to obtain scores and participate in order to rank.
- Integrations with various platforms such as PayPal, Stripe, Woo-commerce, MailChimp, Buddy Press, Gravity, and many others.
Price: Prices start at 159 up to $329 for the Pro package or highest tier package.
Get LearnDash here.
LearnPress is a very popular LMS WordPress plugin that makes the creation and selling of courses online so much easy. It is an online course plugin that is lightweight yet with powerful platforms and add-ons.
From each course, the curriculum can be made with lessons and quizzes with an easy and user-friendly interface. With Learn Press, you will not need any coding knowledge to create online lessons, courses, or quizzes.
The best thing about Learn Press is that it is free and always will be free as said from the official plugin page. However, it has premium features that can be acceded only on the premium version.
- Learn Press made videos to guide you as you navigate through the plugin.
- Mant Add-ons to give you extra features that you need.
- Ability to make money through the selling of your courses.
- With Buddy Press support you will be able to communicate with your students.
- Full control over your courses as you can share them, edit and take down a course.
- Learn Press works with your theme and therefore no need to install a new theme related to LearnPress.
- Translated into many languages such as French, Indonesia, Italian, German, Polish, Russian, and Dutch.
- Various payment options.
Price: Free with the optional premium version.
Get LearnPress here.
MasterStudy is a great LMS to take online courses to the next level. With a variety of other useful resources, MasterStudy can make online course creation much easier. You can choose to get their WordPress theme, mobile app, plugin, and documentation to get teaching, sales, and online course creation much simpler.
The MasterStudy plugin is free of charge, User-friendly, and can integrate with many tools.
- Powerful admin panel.
- Masterstudy theme that comes with additional features to simplify the experience of online courses. You can also choose other WordPress themes as they are also compatible with the plugin.
- You can incorporate videos, images, slides, and additional attachments to beautify and make the course more useful.
- Multilanguage option with languages such as English, French, Turkish, German, Dutch, Russian, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish.
- The ability to create beautiful certificates and badges fr your learners.
- Selling courses in packages.
- Zoom integration for live teaching.
- Add assignments to the lessons to grade performance.
Price: The plugin has two versions, the free and paid. The MasterStudy Pro plugin has a one-lifetime fee of $39.
Get the MasterStudy plugin here.
With over 20,000 active installations, Tutor LMS is an eLearning and online course plugin. You will be able to create and sell courses online easily with Tutor LMS.
The ability to create challenging yet fun quizzes will also get your students interacted and active. All the creation and selling of courses requires no knowledge of a single code.
- Has a free version that delivers high-quality features.
- Unlimited courses and lessons.
- Video lessons from multiple sources such as YouTube, Vimeo, Embedded videos, or self-hosted videos.
- Ability to track course progress.
- Quiz timer and attempts.
- Teacher registration forms, profiles, and panels.
- 10 predefined question types that will give a challenge to your learners yet fun.
- Drag and Drop frontend course builder.
- Reports and analytics.
Price: Tutor LMS is free with premium add-ons
Get Tutor LMS here.
Teachable is a great Learning Management System that is best for everyday instructors with a great audience. Teachable is featured in the Top 20 Learning Management System software 2020 and Top Training Software 2020. This proves that the software is amazing and acknowledged by many.
With Teachable, you will be able to create your own course, control branding, student data, messaging, and pricing all in one place.
With many features
- Unlimited lessons and courses.
- Powerful editor to create and customize courses, multimedia lectures, videos, and coaching sessions.
- Analytics to keep track of your progress
- Ability to sell your courses.
- Live coaching.
- Ability to create success stories that will motivate others and keep them engaged.
- Coupons and advanced pricing options that include subscriptions, memberships, one-time payments, bundles, and more.
- Various payment options such as PayPal and other payment options.
Price: Teachable doesn’t have a free plan and its plans start at $29 when billed annually with the highest tier being at $249 yearly.
Get teachable here.
Lifter is an amazing and free LMS for WordPress. It also has paid extensions that start at $99 per year or each site.
- It is free and great for starters who have limited funds directed towards buying an expensive LMS software.
- Beaver Builder and Divi integration for the creation of the course interface.
- Can be integrated with WooCommerce to handle transactions and sales.
- Easy to use.
- Educational videos and tutorials.
- Free online training courses.
- Easy integration with your favorite tools such as MailChimp, WooCommerce, PayPal, Stripe, YouTube, and many others.
Price: The core plugin is free and can be upgraded starting at $99 per year up to $999 per year for unlimited sites.
Get Lifter LMS here.
BadgeOS can turn your WordPress website into a Learning Management System that has an achievement, badging, and engagement online course system. You will be able to demonstrate skills and knowledge while passing them on to your students.
This LMS is more based on crating and awarding your students with badges, achievements, and ranks which are effective to keep the audience or students engaged.
- BadgeOS badge builder to create a professional-looking badge, point, rank, or images within your WordPress website.
- Shareable badges to platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and other platforms using embedded code.
- Ability to award users by progress.
Get BAdgeOS here.
- Sensei LMS.
Sensei integrates effortlessly with your WordPress site so as you can create courses, lessons, and quizzes with ease. When integrated with WooCommerce paid courses extension, you will be able to sell courses with the most popular e-commerce platform.
No coding will be required in the making of course or lessons that’s how easy using Sensei is.
- Easy WordPress integration.
- Make sales using WooCommerce.
- Quizzes and exercises for students.
Price: Sensei is free.
Get Sensei LMS here.
How do I create an LMS website?
A learning Management System website is easy to make by following these few steps. You will, however, need some basic knowledge of creating a website or you can choose your website to be built by an agency as low as $50.
The steps below are just an outline of what you need to do after choosing your niche and topic.
You can read the full guide of How to create a website here.
Steps of building an LMS website.
- Choose and register a domain.
- The next step is choosing a hosting plan according to your target audience. A larger audience will need a bigger hosting plan that won’t create a lag or slow down the website during use.
- In your hosting dashboard, install WordPress.
- Make research for a theme that will be friendly to An LMS website and install it.
- Start building useful pages such as the Homepage, contact us, About us, and other pages.
- Install an LMS WordPress plugin of your choice.
- Customize the LMS plugin depending on your preference.
The bottom line.
When purchasing or getting An LMS plugin for your WordPress site, if you have a small audience or you are just starting out, choose the lowest plan available and upgrade later when you gain a large audience. The same will apply to when you are choosing a hosting plan for the website.
Choosing a small plan will help you save money as you grow your audience. As soon as you have a great audience, upgrade to a larger plan to accommodate your huge audience.