My nephew once told me that the use of emails is dead in terms of communication as he was basing on social media and other platforms that do almost similar and simplified tasks compared to emails. Do you also believe that emails are meant for signing up on different platforms and getting verification messages?
Here is what I think, emails can never be replaced not in 10 years to come maybe. Emails remain one of the best ways to get in touch with an audience that has visited your website.
The signup forms you usually see are meant to collect your emails. People put a lot of creativity and persuasiveness to get your email. Don’t you think it’s worth it? To get your email, they offer discount vouchers, E-books, courses, articles, and anything that would push someone to input their email.
That’s the start of email marketing. Email marketing is a digital marketing strategy for sending emails to clients or customers. These emails usually have information, products, or affiliate links.
Collecting and sending thousands of emails is not easy when you are handling all the processes without a tool and this gets us to email marketing software or autoresponders. Are they any different and what are the similarities? Read on.
What is email marketing software?
Email marketing software is service-based software that makes email marketing a lot easier. The software is packed with a variety of services, resources and tools that automate most of the email marketing actions.
The software can be used to grow or collect emails, design customized email templates, send automated emails among other functions. Different email marketing software will have different features.
What this software does is generally collecting your emails, send automated emails, and provide you with insights or performance of your emails. Different software has got more different features to help them stand out and beat the competition.
Is an email marketing software the same as an autoresponder?
Autoresponders are a sequence of automated emails that are sent to a subscriber basing on different triggers. Basically, autoresponders are email marketing tools with an automated system of sending emails based on events or certain triggers. These events may include specific dates (such as birthday, anniversary, deadline), abandoned cart, subscription, reminders, and other triggers.
Most email marketing tools have got autoresponders and thus the terms may be interchangeably used to refer to the other. It is correct when you call email marketing to an autoresponder.
What are the best email marketing softwares ?
The best email marketing software are perhaps those that have good pricing, effective autoresponders, great customer service, easy to use, huge subscriber lists, and extra additional features.
In my years of blogging and running of websites, I have used many or maybe setup email marketing softwares for clients and these are some of the email marketing softwares that had great features and I liked using.
MailChimp is the first autoresponder that comes to my mind. It is because of its effective advertising and the great services they offer.
It is suitable for small and big websites. They have got amazing plans with an awesome free plan that lets you have 2,000 subscribers to whom you can send 10, 000 emails a month.
This is good news to small websites and starters who can utilize this plan without spending as they grow their email list. With MailChimp, most of the tools and templates are accessible even on their free plan.
Pros of MailChimp.
- Most tools and features are available on the free plan and it lets you send 10, emails to 2,000 subscribers.
- Effective tracking and analytics.
- MailChimp has a great template builder for newsletters and emails. You can also create a landing page using their inbuilt editor.
- User friendly and easy to understand.
- MailChimp has over 800 integrations available
Cons of MailChimp.
- Prices are high when you have to upgrade to premium plans.
- Limited automation features.
- Emails sent while on the free plan go to Gmail’s promotion tab rather than the main inbox.
Active Campaign is an all email marketing tool with features and tools you need for a successful email marketing campaign. For the start, Active Campaign will give you a 14-day trial to test the features and software before you can choose your desired plan.
It features 4 plans starting at $9 per month and that at of $229 per month for enterprise or big projects.
Pros of Active Campaign.
- Has one of the best automation of emails among all autoresponders or email marketing software.
- It is easy to get around with even with beginners, active campaigns as in-built tutorials that will help you get around the page.
- Unlimited email sends.
- Active Campaign features a free migration if you are coming from a different autoresponder.
- Drag and drop template builder.
Cons of Active Campaign.
- Doesn’t offer a free plan.
- Active Campaign is pricy and not suitable for beginners with a low budget.
- Has no refund policy.
- Active campaign may look complicated for beginners since it has a lot of features.
Mailer Lite has one of the cheapest plans on the market for starters. It also features a free plan where you can have up to 1000 subscribers to whom you can send 12000 emails per month. When you upgrade to the premium plan that starts at $10, the number of emails you send become unlimited.
Mailer Lite also comes with amazing features such as landing pages, forms and autoresponders. It is suitable for small websites and those that have little funds directed towards email marketing.
Pros of using Mailer Lite.
- It has the best competitive prices.
- The free plan gives you access to most features and the ability to send 12,000 emails a month.
- Easy to use.
Cons of Mailer Lite.
- The free plan doesn’t give you free email templates.
- Mailer Lite doesn’t have spam or design testing.
- Great reporting or tracking tools.
- Some users report their emails to go to spam or fail to reach their audience.
- Mailer Lite does not appear great on large screens.
Aweber is an email marketing software that lets you create an email list, design newsletter, automate emails, and lets you view campaign or performance analytics.
Aweber’s pricing is greatly based on the number of subscribers you have. Their free plan stops when you get over 500 subscribers with their first plan billed at $16.15 per month. You will have unlimited emails on all their plans.
Pros of AWeber.
- AWeber has an entirely free plan.
- Reasonably priced.
- Responsive email templates and designs.
- Powered email template designed for creating amazing branded emails with a drag and drop editor.
- Email automation.
- Landing page builder.
- Easy and free integrations.
- Split testing
Cons of AWeber.
- The free plan is limited to 500 subscribers.
- Not the cheapest option on the market.
Try AWeber for free here.
Conver Kit is a great email marketing software that makes email marketing easier. With a free plan that lets, you have up to 1000 subscribers, getting started with Convert Kit is quite easy. Even on the premium plans, you are given a 14-day trial to test them out.
The premium plan of Convert Kit starts at $29 per month and can go up to as much as $4000 when you have enormous numbers of subscribers, with whatever number of subscribers, Convert kit will have you covered.
Pros of Convert Kit.
- Great looking landing pages can be created with a landing page editor.
- Flexible subscription or email list subscription.
- Unlimited emails on premium plans.
Cons of Convert Kit.
- Convert Kit is pricy starting at $29 per month.
- Analytics from Convert Kit is not so detailed.
- Poor design options with only 3 templates with the option of importing your own.
Try Convert Kit for free here.
- HubSpot Marketing Hub
With over 68,8000 customers and still growing, HubSpot’s award-winning software can attract, engage, and delight customers. The software can make content creation, and email marketing much simpler.
It is a popular software and trusted by many which translate into good services because all those people can’t probably have been wrong in choosing or staying with the software.
With a free plan, you will be able to start running email campaigns and get your business growing.
HubSpot Marketing Hub offers a free plan and the premium plan starts at $50 per month.
Pros of HubSpot Marketing Hub.
- Excellent support.
- Great information organization and summary.
- A lot of features and you will always get value for your money.
- Easy to use.
- A lot of features for successful email marketing. CRM, landing pages, autoresponders, forms, and others.
Cons of HubSpot Marketing Hub.
- It is pricy with the starting plan being at $50 and gets expensive as you get a greater audience.
- Can be quite unhelpful if you only needed email marketing. This means that you will be paying for tools that you don’t have value for.
Try HubSpot marketing Hub for free here.
Campaign Monitor is a great email marketing tool that has a slider on its homepage to help you estimate the right pan for you. By just dragging or inputting the number of contacts you have, the slider will then help you find the right plan for you.
Starting with a free plan, Campaign Monitor has 3 more plans with added features and an increased number of contacts.
Pros of Campaign Monitor.
- Draga and drop email builder.
- Fully automated email sending.
- Analytics to monitor your growth and conversions.
- Sending Emails basing on time zones.
- Countdown timer to portray a sense of urgency in an email. (This increases sales).
- Link tracking
- Sending time optimization whereby Campaign Monitor can help you determine the best time for your emails to be sent out.
Cons of Campaign Monitor.
- Their free plan is almost useless and is limited to only 5 subscribers. Beyond that you have to pay.
Try Campaign Monitor for free here.
Constant Contact is a great email marketing software with automation, an attractive and user-friendly interface. You are also given a 60-day free trial before you commit yourself to a subscription.
Though I haven’t used it yet, those who have claimed it is easy to use and its beginner-friendly.
With Constant Contact, you can send emails, track their performance, and can be integrated with many platforms. You will also have powerful features such as email automation, drip campaigns, online surveys, online donations, and split testing of emails.
Pros of Constant Contact.
- Excellent support with live chat, phone calls, or email.
- 60-day free trial with pricing starting at $20 per month.
- Inbuilt social sharing tools.
- Contact list import.
- Sign up forms.
Cons of Constant Contact.
- Pricing adds up once you have a thousand contacts.
Try Constant Contact for free here.
How do I send an automatic email?
An automatic email is a planned email that is to be sent to subscribers at a specific time, after a certain event or certain users on a website.
Before launching an automation flow you should, you should create events or triggers that will get the email sent.
Types of Automated Emails.
- Welcome emails
- Thank-you emails
- Abandoned cart emails
- Order confirmation emails
- Customer feedback request emails
How to set your first automation email.
In this example, I will use Active Campaign as an example.
Step 1: Go to create automation from the user dashboard.
Step 2: You can choose to create from a template or from scratch.
From the template, you will be able to either choose from already made templates with triggers or set your own events and triggers.
When you choose a template, you will be led to a page with triggers that you will set for your automatic email.
Step 3: Choose a list of emails if you have been collecting different email lists.
Step 4: Choose the number of times you want the automatic email to run.
Step 5: Create an email and you can choose from templates.
Step 6: Use the drag and drop editor to customize your email.
Finish the automation by setting the tie and triggers to confirm.
The bottom line.
Email marketing softwares are essential for bringing back traffic to your website, finishing sales, sending information, and communicating to your audience. For beginners with a less audience or limited budget for Email marketing, it is advised to choose a software that offers free subscribers and emails such as MailChimp.
You will be able to upgrade when you start making money or get a bigger audience. It will be useless to pay high subscription fees when you don’t fully utilize the software.